๐Ÿƒโ€Œ[FESTIVAL] World Earth Day 2024 ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

Jennifer3225
Host Advisory Board Member
Port Severn, Canada

๐Ÿƒโ€Œ[FESTIVAL] World Earth Day 2024 ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

Hi everyone, it's Jennifer from Muskoka, Canada, your Host Advisory Board member. And I'm here alongside my good friend @Felicity11  and we are back for another year of Earth Day 2024. 

Earth Day is a global movement that really encourages people to take up action and clean up in their communities. It's definitely about civic engagement and it supports the idea that anybody can do anything in their parklands, communities, trails, beaches, whatever works for you to help improve the community for which you operate your Airbnb and also the environment. 

Last year, Hosts worldwide came together to put on a series of events. Some events had huge turnouts and others just had a few. No matter what, they all had an impact on their communities. Earth Day this year falls on April 22nd, but you can have your Earth Day event with your Host before or after anywhere in the month of April, preferably around two weeks before or after the date. 

If you are keen to get involved and you're not sure where to start, do feel free to reach out to Felicity and I. When you do hold your event, please take photos and use the hashtag Airbnb Earth Day. If you're looking for inspiration on how to host an event, check out this video that Felicity and I put together of some of the hundreds of hosts globally that participated in 2023. 

We can't wait to see what you do this year. And remember, take photos and use the hashtag Airbnb Earth Day and share with us in the Community. We can't wait to see what you do. 

Jennifer Schnier
8 Replies 8
Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Jennifer3225 @Felicity11 This is Great. Happy to share that in Kenya, the Coastal club led by @Pam did their Cleanup last weekend. We plan to do our Community event to commemorate #EarthDay2024 #Airbnbearthday the following week as we have serious flooding in Nairobi and Kenya currently. Mother nature is furious. Much of it to do with a lot of development and less thought on proper drainage, and not developing on riverines or reparian areas . It's looking grave ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’ฅ

JMM
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jue0 it is amazing how mother nature is playing games

We had excessive rain in November last year.        240 mls fell in an hour. What happened to us water seeped in back bedroom of Airbnb cottage. It was out digging drains in the rain.

Fortunately we had friends staying in our Airbnn and we had to empty out and dry out. There was a damp smell for 2 weeks and we had to block bookings for 2 weeks

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Laurelle3  Mother Nature does get angry sometimes! That was heavy rain indeed. Glad you were able to rectify the leaks. We got a roof leak too and had to repair as water was sipping in the attic. Others not so lucky as homes marooned! River beds have burst their banks and capacities. It is scary and unfortunate as many lives lost and thousands misplaced. Wanton destruction to property and business losses. Our main Airport JKIA has not been spared either! Incredible.๐Ÿ˜ณWe must do all to protect our earth or else we suffer. Thank you for sharing. Jue

JMM
Felicity11
Manly, Australia

HI @Laurelle3 

Great to hear from you and to hear your story. The impacts and consequences of these intense weather events are being felt by many people around the world. 

It sounds like your incredible husband found a good solution to the problem and had it sorted out quickly. Well done to you both 

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @Jue0 It is great to hear from you and I can't wait to see more of the event in Kenya and hear more from @pam  about the event. 

I do hope the rain settles down soon for you and that some of the water is making it's way to filling up lakes and dams that need it. The images of the damage to your region show a lot of devastation. I hope you and your family are all well.   Mother nature is such a force. 

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

๐Ÿ’

JMM
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jennifer3225 great to see your passion again with ๐ŸŒŽ Earthday. Good to see @Felicity11 with her video on the Northern Beached with other Airbnb Hosts

I am currently away on holidays in Japan. My effort for our local Airbnb FB page was

1000007748.jpg

โ€ƒ

1000007749.jpg

โ€ƒThere were only 3 responses so it means a lot of promotion to our group. Last year I tried  beach clean up and got 1 response

What it shows there is a lot of Not Getting Involved.

But I am sure if there was a Sustainability Badge more Hosts would get involved.

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

I love this! You are taking so many steps to reducing the emissions and waste in your listing and making it easier for guests to travel more sustainably.. I wish there was a badge to recognize hosts who do this.  I have guests who love what I do and want to find the next airbnb to stay in who is also hosting sustainably.  Finding one at the moment is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack!