๐Ÿƒโ€Œ[FESTIVAL] Urban Farming and Rooftop Gardens ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

Answered!
Rekha10
Level 1
New Delhi, India

๐Ÿƒโ€Œ[FESTIVAL] Urban Farming and Rooftop Gardens ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

Abstract

This paper provides the solution and strategy for making a waterproof rooftop vegetable garden to fulfil the requirements of vegetables and microgreens for everyday cooking in each household while improving the overall environment of the urban setting and providing necessary break from the usual monotony in turn, improving mental health and wellbeing. Such urban farms may also provide food security and relieve the burden on the farm economy to recuperate from overuse of fertilizers and pesticides. My submission proposes the construction of a rooftop garden in consideration of the structural weight, placing of pots and drainage of rooftop water. 

Problem Statement

In urban infrastructure relies heavily on use of concrete cement which inhibits percolation of water to the groundwater table. In addition to extreme concretization, urban infrastructure severely lacks in green areas which are an essential infrastructure for flora and fauna to flourish. The increasing need for housing with multiple floors for multiple family mostly strains the environment leaving no space for the plants or trees to grow. The answer lies in Rooftop gardens which will use the unused rainwater and will also add green spaces to an urban dwelling. 

A Terrace Garden will provide the following:

1. Green area
  2. It will reduce the temperature of the building by ~10 degrees by aiding ambient humidity and shade during sunny days. The growing plants in pot will reduce the summer heat due to the moisture present in the soil which will reduce the need for air conditioners to cool the building. Thus, a rooftop garden also aligns with the governmentโ€™s efforts for energy consumption and energy savings.
  3. It will meet the daily food requirements and the replace the need to procure vegetables on a daily basis.
  4. It shall serve as a stress buster by providing a relief from the daily rigours of urban life.
  5. The garden can absorb the greenhouse gases & dust while reducing the island effect. 
  6. The rainwater shall also get utilised instead of being simply flown into a drain.

A Rooftop Garden may also improve the local microclimate of the area by providing shelter, food, and infrastructure for biodiversity to thrive in.  

Literature Review

In Delhi and other metro cities in India, the increasing air pollution is clearly declaring that the usual way of commercial farming to provide food for the population is a disastrous way and the only sustainable way to move forward is to increase the green spaces which provide food. Since population density is only going to increase with major concentration in metro cities, the value of building houses that can have integrated rooftop gardens cannot remain understated. 

In order to solve this problem of ever reducing green spaces we can use the rooftop area. 

Waterproofing of rooftop is essential for this and placing of pots in a way that reduces the load on the roof structure.

Most of the govt buildings and RWAs can be given aid to implement the Rooftop Kitchen Garden. This will not only help in solving the green area, it will also help in engaging the old and young generation, and it will also give vegetables on a regular basis to the beneficiaries. 

Placement of potted plant, division of load can be done on the columns of the building so that the weight of the pots is distributed and is not putting pressure on the building. Waterproofing can be done to avoid any leakages in the building before adoption of the rooftop kitchen garden.

Terrace Garden can do is supporting the life of small insects-dragonflies, fireflies, beetles, butterfliesโ€™ eggs, bees and Wasps. As these small creatures are most important for our ecology, they support the growth of all vegetables and fruits and are also the food for all the birds. Pollination is not possible if we do not have them, so to protect them and the kitchen garden, a tolerant approach towards insects on rooftop with no use of insecticides and pesticides is essential for a successful kitchen garden. A Terrace Garden can support the pollinators, & it can add to the ecology of the area. 

I use the vegetables provided by my terrace garden for cooking in my Airbnb Classes during Experiences. 

Are you involved in urban farming or tend to a vegetable garden? Please share photos and your experiences

Rekha10_0-1714048413234.jpeg

Rekha10_1-1714048413226.jpeg

Rekha10_2-1714048413209.jpeg

Rekha10_3-1714048413224.jpeg

Rekha10_4-1714048413235.jpeg

1 Best Answer
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Rekha10 it is with interest to read about Urban Farming and Roof Top Gardening. It has been a topic that has been increasing in different parts of the world. Gardening in pots has allowed people in apartments to play with soil and grow food in small amounts such as tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, herbs and flowers.

Wall gardens people have taken up with enthusiasm as they add a green dimension or outlook for eye appeal. They also soften the area, utilizes vertical space that was wasted in the past. 

You mentioned using vegetables in your cooking classes, thus being economical too.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Rekha10 it is with interest to read about Urban Farming and Roof Top Gardening. It has been a topic that has been increasing in different parts of the world. Gardening in pots has allowed people in apartments to play with soil and grow food in small amounts such as tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, herbs and flowers.

Wall gardens people have taken up with enthusiasm as they add a green dimension or outlook for eye appeal. They also soften the area, utilizes vertical space that was wasted in the past. 

You mentioned using vegetables in your cooking classes, thus being economical too.

@Laurelle3 Yes I use my terrace garden vegetables in cooking as the vegetables from my rooftop garden are different in taste then the one available in the market.

I have grown some forgotten fruits also like  star Fruits, Phalsa or sherbet berries and Mulberries.