[Celebration] How do you build community through hospitality?

Claudia331
Host Advisory Board Member
Lecco, Italy

[Celebration] How do you build community through hospitality?

This post is co-authored by Host Advisory Board members Claudia from Italy, Daniel from Tenerife, Dolly from the U.S., Rachel from England, Sarah from Australia, Rie from Japan. Learn more about the Host Advisory Board.

We’re living in a particularly lonely time, and we need to find ways to connect with others. By opening our doors to guests, Hosts can have a positive impact and help people feel closer.

Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky has talked about feelings of isolation recently in press interviews and at Host gatherings, including the community leaders meetup in Milan, Italy, that I attended a few weeks ago. His words have resonated with many of us. Welcoming guests from all over the globe is a joy of hosting. Getting to know new people gives us a sense of belonging and builds community.

That is why my colleagues from the Host Advisory Board and I chose to celebrate hospitality during this Week of Celebrations. We want to continue the conversations about overcoming loneliness that we started earlier this year.

In a series of posts, Hosts Daniel, Rachel, Sarah, Rie, and Dolly offer their thoughts about hospitality and getting to know their guests. They discuss how they host with kindness and empathy, offer support to guests, build lasting relationships, and much more.

I encourage you to read their posts:

We’d love to know what you think! Here are a few questions to get our conversations started: 

• How important is it for you as a Host to build connections with your guests? Do you feel the same way when you’re the guest? 
  • How do you make sure your guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay at your place?
  • In what ways have your guests’ needs changed in the past few years?

Let us know in the comments below. We look forward to reading about your experiences.

21 Replies 21
Sushma14
Level 2
Scarborough, United Kingdom

same here. @Aimee224 

Sushma14
Level 2
Scarborough, United Kingdom

Hello @Claudia331 , 

Thank you for asking directly! No escape now. I can talk about my problems upfront rather than wait for a suitable moment to come which may never arrive.

I am aware that it is important to build a relationship with the guest however brief. They are part of this relationship and if we will not talk we will never learn the other side of the profession.  It is also important to learn about them which may  come handy in dealing with other people.  Their immediate needs about the flat, about the town, about the journey where they came from and where they are going etc. etc.  I think there is a lot there to learn albeit, a brief contact and then put it to use. It may be very practical. Some people can be blunt and some can be reserved and shy.  I regard it all useful.  There is always things to learn! 

Finally, try not to forget what use could I be!  I have to think something fast then.

sushma

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Sushma14 thank you for your answer ☺️

agree with you and I feel your precious focus on people in your approach, even if stays are for a short period

what do you think about guests after pandemic, have you noticed some changes? 

You or they look for a direct contact or there is not difference than before?

personally, I feel more desire to meet me in person or to know me

Vina522
Level 1
Philippines

Hi @Claudia331 ,

Upon their successful booking, I always send them a thank you message and that I am looking forward to host them.  Also upon their arrival, I welcome them with a smile and give them a quick tour of the place. And I make sure that they are all settled before turning over the place to them. 

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

Dear @Vina522  thank you for sharing this! 

What you do is the same I do: simple messages or gestures of welcome

This kind of attention I think worth a lot 

Aimee224
Level 2
Elk Park, NC

Community is built around positive experiences and satisfying stays that make people want to return to explore the area. 

The gentle behave and  invironment and hobby and intest of guest required  for long time stay comfortable clean ventilated involvement  is reauired