Where is the best to rent to be an airbnb host

Where is the best to rent to be an airbnb host

I was thinking that I can rent a place for myself and hosting a room on airbnb, the dilemma begins where I don't know if I should rent my apratment in a place where there are a lot of airbnb host already there(option 1), or, I should rent a place where there are lower number of airbnb host reside(option 2), but, both place are still toursitc.  the reasoning is that in option 1, there would be a lot of competitors and I have to compeite. the problem with options 2 is the place might not be as toursitic as in option 1 or the guest might think it's not as toursitic part of the city just because there are lower number of hosts. what do you think? am I overthinking?  

9 Replies 9
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@David9276 

I think you need to do a lot more research to see if it's possible to sublet other peoples property,

You would be also liable for any damage,

It used to happen here in Phuket where guys would rent a villa then rent out rooms on airbnb until they got found out,

it's not illegal to do airbnb, is it?

@David9276 

In Thailand it is illegal to sublet, although people still do it

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

More of a dilemma for you @David9276  is that the majority of landlords will not allow you to sublet a rental for STRs.

depends on the contract I think

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes it does but as I said most landlord contracts forbid STRs as standard . You would need to find a landlord willing to let you sub let for STRs @David9276 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@David9276 Absolutely no one can tell you your best option for a location to list on airbnb because there are too many variables. Two examples—many hosts lost lots of rental income/business the last two years due to the pandemic and then again this year due to airbnb changing up it’s platform.

As @Sudsrung0 said, you have to start with research—tons of research!

So with this in mind, my suggestions:

1. Make sure you can list a STR.  Some cities/ counties have strict zoning requirements regarding STRs. 

2. Do your homework. Do a search on airbnb to get an idea of the competition in your specific area. 

3. If the rental is in a HOA or COA, ensure their bylaws allow STRs. 

4. And lastly, as @Helen3 said, confirm that your lease/contract doesn’t prohibit subletting or listing landlord’s property on a rental site. 

GL2U

@Gwen386 @David9276 

Thats one sure fire way to get shut down, If an owner saw his property being advertised on airbnb and didn't know about, then he complains to airbnb, I've seen that happen here in Phuket.

how and what airbnb changed about it's platform that made it hard for hosts?