Our first-time listing suspension, please help

Our first-time listing suspension, please help

Dear all,

I'm new here in the community chat, although we have been successfully cooperating with Airbnb already for 6 years and have a long track record of good reviews, also for almost all that time we were superhosts. Unfortunately, lost this status very recently.  

I would like to seek advice here in community, how to deal with the situation if your profile was suddenly suspended after (in my opinion totally unfair) guest complaint. AirBnB has just accepted the complaint of the guest without giving us a possibility to explain the situation. During all 6 years while we are hosting, we experience such situation first time, that no one contacted us from AirBnB.

The story is that recently we had three guests staying in our apartment, after checkout, our local assistant/cleaner found the apartment in a complete mess after a party. Dirty toilet, apparently someone felt sick, unwashed dishes in the sink, in some places the walls in the room were scratched and the plaster was knocked out, the electric plug from the garlands on the terrace was broken, empty bottles, cigarette butts, traces of shoes on the table, and one pillowcase was missing. The cleaner wrote to the main guest via WhatsApp asking him where could be the missing pillowcase and pointed out to the mess. The guest felt personally attacked and answered mocking that it has been paid for everything and it’s a cleaner’s job to clean up and not to point out the mess. As an answer the cleaner sent him some pictures, so they had a correspondence, after which our profile was immediately blocked by AirBnb until October the 17th.

I agree the guest paid a fee for cleaning but after such mess you need an extra-long cleaning, you have damages, and the guest doesn’t respect the manual work of a cleaner, doesn’t respect the someone else's property, and broke the rule no parties in the flat. I suppose if the guest would stay at the hotel, the hotel would extra charge him for it. I admit that the helper shouldn’t have contacted him on Whatsapp at all but should have given me the chance to manage it on AirBnB platform.

So after our profile was suspended, I immediately wrote to AirBnB support and described the whole situation, attaching pics, and kindly asked to look into the situation, especially in our suspension. It’s very disappointing when a random guest can destroy your long year work just in one step, while he can then create a new profile in the system and start all over again.

Unfortunately, we haven’t got any reply yet from AirBnB, the case was silently closed. We could re-start our profile again after temporarily suspension but we feel so bad about the situation, does it mean that next time our profile will be just deleted and we can't protect our reputation from such guests ? What should we do now, how we can get an answer?

Please help.

Best Regards, Konstantin and Michael     

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If there was an issue with the apartment you as the host should have raised the issue with the guest on the platform sharing photos that the cleaner shared with you @Konstantin-and-Michael0 and pointing out your house rules/check out rules around how the apartment should have been left.

It's not appropriate for your cleaner to contact them via what's app.

You could then have shared an invoice for the additional cleaning costs involved. You are correct the guest doesn't have the right to leave the property in such a mess.

I am not sure why Airbnb should have suspended your profile because of this. 

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Konstantin-and-Michael0, I hope you're well 😊. I was just looking through and noticed that two of your listings are up on your profile. Do you have more than two listings?

Best wishes,
Sophia

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Dear @Sophia,

we appreciate your response!

yes, right, we have only two listings.

One of them 'Duplex with private rooftop terrace and WI-FI' in Tarragona, Spain was temporarily suspended until the 17th of October. I have reactivated it as soon as it was possible - so it's up again on our profile. Before that I have filed to AirBnB Support an objection against this temporarily suspending and unfortunately didn't get any answer.

The case was just closed without details  I was notified. I guess it happens automatically. But I am sure there will be now a bad record for us in the system of AirBnB because of it.

Following the profile reactivation I agreed again to follow the AirBnB rules (which in my humble opinion I haven't broken) and it was mentioned that next time our profile might be completely deleted, which sounds horrifying to me after 6 years of work as I know for every 20-30 guests in a good mood, there might be one in a bad, we are all human beings 🙂 

Thanks and greetings from Berlin, 

Konstantin  & Michael  

Hi Sophia, 

I was so horrified and concentrated on our temporarily listing suspension that I forgot that there is also a mediation center (!!!), after I have twice contacted AirBnB support they sent me a link for opening a mediation, so I got answer! I was relieved it goes forward! 

So I did as I was told and asked for symbolic compensation from the guest for broken things. Now I got the material compensation but what can we do about our reputation like  fallen-down rating, review and bad record in the AirBnB system?  I addressed these questions also to Support team, hope to get an answer too. 

Ooof, so much time spent on it, I need some rest 🙂  

Hi Sophia,

I am facing the same issue that no answer from Safety and Trust team, made more than 50 calls and no way to connect

@Paula @Emilie @Bhumika @Laura @Jenny @Quincy 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You are wise to already be thinking that this is a learning experience. Good of you to have such an attitude, very good.

~Needless to say, the cleaner had no business contacting the guest, but this does beg the question how was that even possible? The cleaner has access to your Airbnb account or has the personal e-mail address of the guest? Did she called them?

~These people had a 'party'? If so, these three people belong in a zoo. If so,  how were their past  reviews?  Or did more than 3 came to the 'festivities'? If so, best to consider better control  of your place. Best never, ever even say the word 'party' with Airbnb, hysterics will immediately follow. 

~The first step in any host-guest difference of opinion is for the host to take it up with the guest, not Airbnb, who is subject to a whole different reality than hosts which includes legal constraints and procedure,  local pressures,  bad publicity, being a third party from the outset, etc.

Good luck and do not feel like the Lone Ranger, it takes a little while to learn the ways in hosting, in different ways we all 'been there'.

H Fred, 

somehow I forgot about a mediation center, that this procedure exist 🙂 I was in panic, so now I hope I do it in a correct way. I got a compensation. But I don't still know how to proceed against suspension record and a bad review / rating from the guest. 

Thanks for support!!! 

Cheers, 

Konstantin

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Konstantin-and-Michael0 I fear the key word here is 'party'. If a party is reported to Airbnb then bizarrely they start by suspending the host.