New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

203 Replies 203
Julie1019
Level 5
Gulf Breeze, FL

If it's disclosed that you have cameras in the common areas, I don't see what the problem is. The guest can choose whether or not to book if they are uncomfortable. This is my home! I don't watch the cameras but I have recordings if something goes wrong. I'm MAD! I'm going to check other platforms to see what their policies are. 

I agree with you....here's another post inside this 'community' about this https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Ask-about-your-listing/Camera-ban-will-affect-shared-spaces-in-q...

Federico581
Level 3
Chaudfontaine, Belgium

I'm trying to figure out the same. We have an indoor security camera, not fixed to anything, that the guests are instructed to unplug as soon as they enter the apartment. We use it to check that everything is OK while the apartment is empty. They can even unplug the camera and store it in a drawer if they think that the camera works on battery (which is not the case).

This policy does not make any sense. I'm trying to clarify with Airbnb how to deal with this. Because indeed the guests can (and are instructed to) remove the camera.

If the guests can remove the camera, why not have housekeeping remove it prior to arrival and then reinstall when there is a significant gap between bookings? I would presume Airpolice will suggest the same.

Well, sometimes housekeeping happens days before the guests arrive. This is not a rental apartment, it's our apartment that we rent when we are not there.

I contacted Airbnb support and they said I need to fully remove the camera. So unless they rollback or revise this policy by April, I will have to de-list our apartment and move towards other platforms that do not have this nonsense of policy that don't contribute to guests privacy but rather make it less secure for hosts that rely on self check-in.

And given this discussion, it seems that I am not the only one.

What other platforms are you considering? I rent out my 2 guest rooms. and I live in the master..I'm thinking of offering the current guests a mid-term renewable 90 day lease and then just looking up on tik toc what platform to keep track of my mid term renters. I just can't do the short term stuff. I prefer to rent out the rooms not the whole house. It pays the mortg and provides me grocery money....also keeps me away from a 9-5 job so i can spend more time living my life and not slowly dying at regular job. These cameras I have in the kitchen and living room help prove me right when a guest has been difficult (only 3 difficult people in 4 years) thank God.

Try listing on Houfy. A direct booking platform. 

because there can be time elapse between cleaning and guest arrival

Dale71
Level 3
Edmonton, Canada

Indeed, this policy needs to be amended to allow cameras in common areas if you have a shared space indicated on your listing.

This is for the safety of guests and hosts.

Totally unacceptable

@Dale71 ,

I agree with you regarding shared spaces and security, especially for the other guests when there is a common area. Please turn your comment into a post to emphasize that the rule needs to be amended.

Totally agree with you. There is zero expectation of privacy in a shared living room and shared kitchen when the guest rents a room. Great rule for hosts who rent out the whole house though. Interesting though....if you have a motel or hotel you can list the rooms for rent on airbnb and you get to keep the cameras in the lobby. Maybe consider my living room is my lobby. I rent out my 2 guest rooms to mid term and long terms renters. I live in the house in the master. Can't believe I have to take my 2 cameras down in my shared spaces.

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

I contacted Airbnb support with my complaint and got back a long but probably templated response. I encourage the rest of you hosts who are upset by this policy change to also file complaints -- maybe if many hosts do that it will get their attention.

We got similar long and no content answer. It looks like a Chatgpt wrote.

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I don’t have a shared space, however, I was wondering about hosts that do, you used to be allowed to have cameras in the kitchen and garage, just not bedrooms or bathrooms. You don’t want someone leaving in the middle of the night with your groceries and tools. It will be interesting to see if they amend the new policy.