New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

212 Replies 212

Well said regarding the legal action this could bring.  You beat me to this post and I thank you for that.  If we could band owners together and afford to sue this company, it would be an epic event.  The reality is this in my opinion, if you force owners to remove devices which can possibly prevent a serious crime, you should be held fully accountable for the result of that crime.  For example, if someone were to get physically harmed and due to no surveillance at the scene of the crime, the criminal couldn't be identified, AirBnB should be held fully liable.  No question about it.

Can I quote you in my press release.

Andrea2460
Level 10
Hallowell, ME

Just want to share a true story.  This morning I got a text from a guest who was alarmed because at midnight someone tried to open her door.  She saw the handle moving.  I checked the security camera and it was the woman in the room next door.  She is a paramedic and comes from out of state to work at the local hospital and stays with me periodically due to the staffing shortage.  She got home at 1145 and was tired and confused.  If I did not have the  inside security camera, I would not have been able to solve this  mystery.

Absolutely, and in my case there is a condition in my house rules that no guest can invite any outside person or friend unless permitted by us. Saw one day a lady entering into house through camera alert and that was not the guest staying. When asked the guest had invited a beauty parlour lady for herself without permission. We objected and sent her back. So such incidents are to be tracked. 

Julie1019
Level 5
Gulf Breeze, FL

The ONE thing that sets Airbnb apart is that hosts can rent rooms in their PRIVATE home. Not all rentals are whole house. I live in my home and SHARE the house with guests. Also guests are not the only people to enter MY home. Repairmen, friends, neighbors, kids, and others come into my home and i don't have the right to survey my own property? 

I cannot understand that if we DISCLOSE that there are cameras in the common areas, what is the problem? If a guest is uncomfortable with cameras, they don't have to book my listing. I have had these cameras up for 5 years, and have a 4.98 rating and Superhost every quarter since i started. I'm so upset!!! I don't feel safe without the use of my cameras.

Andrea2460
Level 10
Hallowell, ME

I think Conrad's idea about everyone delisting  on April 30 is an excellent one.  If you plan to delist please send me an email with your primary  reasons for delisting and I will write a press release to the Associated Press, the United Press International and any counterparts that you tell me about that exist in other countries.  The headline will read, "Airbnb Hosts Unite."  My email is **

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center.

Fantastic plan Andrea.  Thank you for taking the initiative to combat this ridiculous action.  My partner and I are definitely on board with this and will contact you via email.

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for this, I will be delisting, it is time Airbnb knows that, it might be a 'Ferari' in this business, but  its worthless without petrol to drive it,  and we are what makes it run, the driving force period 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Conrad76,

I did a little bit of research to see what could have been a contributing factor to the changes in Airbnb's security camera policy, and found this NY Post article that describes the events surrounding a host who used Airbnb as a guest and why he is suing the host and Airbnb over privacy violations and emotional harm to him and his wife.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/14/us-news/airbnb-host-sued-by-guest-over-compromising-photo/

If there is truth to the host's behavior, she should have her account immediately terminated.  However, it's these types of incidents in which Airbnb normally over-reacts, and then they make revisions after getting slapped with some common sense by their hosts.  For example, when they came out with their Enhanced Cleaning Handbook and Protocol in 2020, many items were impractical and nonsensical, e.g., clean outdoor porch ceilings, but no mention of cleaning ceiling fans, heat registers and air conditioner filters.  All of which are prime methods to transport agents that cause sickness.  It took a few months, but they eventually made updates to that policy.  I think something similar will happen with this security camera policy.  Especially if some hosts sue the company if they incur physical or psychological injury or property damages that never happened while they had the interior cameras, and they claim that they removed the cameras under duress and fear of losing their income if they didn't comply with Airbnb's policy.

This is strange. Instead of supporting the host Airbnb has done the other way and put all the host community in jeopardy. It needs to be understood by Airbnb org that its existence is because of hosts and not guests. So, in my strong opinion they need to look into this change. Just because of this there is so much of hue and cry, then why such policy requirement? 

Nugroho1
Level 2
South Jakarta, Indonesia

I read the case. The CCTV aspect is a kind of confusing because the CCTV can be used as evidence for guest's violation but at the same time can be misused by the host to do unethical things (in this case, publishing the guest's photos with a woman, even though the CCTV was in a common space). My unsolicited opinion would be that the problem is not the CCTV but rather in potential damage of guest's unverified reviews. I'm not sure but probably the better policy change would be to disallow guests that had been proven to violate the house rules from leaving reviews to the respective hosts. Or at least temporarily disallow guests that has an open case with the host from leaving reviews.

Reminder to everyone on this conversation:

Unlist your property today. I just did.

Oops -- I had the date wrong! I'm re-listing and will delist on APRIL 30th!! Sorry for the confusion.

I have for 10 days to start with and wait for the response

Zoya-and-Julija0
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

Isn't there a way to turn off security cameras while people are staying there? There should be allowance for the option for guests to cover the cameras. 
Where do all the recordings go?
AS a guest I would not want to stay in a property that is recording me, a lot or little. You?