New Host Requirements

Ivy316
Level 1
Spring Hill, FL

New Host Requirements

Hi everyone, I’m new to hosting and I have not listed my Airbnb just yet. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start accepting guests. I was wondering if I could get some insight on requirements and advice for hosting. Things such as payout info, commission & service fees, tax info, insurance, liability, etc. One of my main concerns is damage liability and insurance; would I have to purchase a separate home insurance policy for the property or is it covered by AirCover? Also any additional tips or suggestions that are not well known would be greatly appreciated!

2 Replies 2

@Ivy316 

You've excellent questions. 

You will need to visit with your tax prep person around income taxes, and your insurance agent for a Business Insurance policy that will cover your unique property situation. Your city or county planning office can advise you of local zoning, permits, and TOT/ bed tax rates, collection and remittance requirements. Nolo Press for your state can give you some good business basics, a good place to start before you get with the professionals to finish the setup process.  Payout info, commission & service fees information are all well covered on the platform. 

Best of luck, and definitely get the ducks all lined up  before you dive in.

Hi @Ivy316 as a new Airbnb host, you'll need to consider several key factors, such as payout information, commission and service fees, tax implications, insurance, and liability issues. Here’s a brief overview of each of these areas, focusing on your main concern regarding damage liability and insurance. Income earned from Airbnb is taxable, and you will need to report it accordingly. Airbnb can provide you with a summary of your earnings, but it’s a good idea to consult with a tax professional about this. 

As for AirCover, Airbnb offers this to all hosts which provides protection to hosts at no additional cost. However, AirCover is not a substitute for homeowners or renters insurance. It primarily covers incidents related directly to an Airbnb stay and might not cover other risks or damages outside of hosting activities. You can check more details about this in the help center. 

When you start hosting, you may consider ensuring your local laws and regulations about short-term rentals, including zoning, licensing, and safety compliance. Ensure your space is clean, safe, and as described in your listing. Good quality photos and accurate descriptions help attract guests and set clear house rules for your guests. Hope this helps!