Is a garage considered interior?

Answered!

Is a garage considered interior?

Hi there,

We have a new STR near our son's college across the country.  We have one camera on the porch,  outside, and one in the garage hallway, the only place where we can see any violations of our no-pet policy, or excess guest policy.  Absolutely zero cameras anywhere inside the the interior of the property.  The garage at our property is the bottom floor, and a camera outside the back door, or showing a car coming in the garage, would not allow any visibility of who is entering the property, just like the front porch camera affords.  Is my garage camera considered one that needs to come down?  It just captures motion, and takes a quick clip.  Without it, one could easily drive in the garage, and let their two dogs out, and we would never know it.   With the cameras disclosed in the listing, and I could even put a sign below the camera in the hallway, would we be considered in compliance?   I tried to call, and couldn't get a live agent, so I appreciate if anyone has successfully found out this information. 

1 Best Answer
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Kelly2254 👋

@Dawn241 is correct. We asked the team, "are cameras or recording devices permitted in garages?" and they gave us the following response: 

Hosts cannot place cameras in garages. Hosts are not allowed to have security cameras and recording devices that monitor any part of a listing’s interior.

I hope this helps. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Someone else posed the same question. My advise was yes, garage cameras are no longer allowed. I suggest you make the garage off limits to guests until you get further guidance from Airbnb. If a guest complains they could suspend your listing and that could be a nightmare. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Kelly2254 👋

@Dawn241 is correct. We asked the team, "are cameras or recording devices permitted in garages?" and they gave us the following response: 

Hosts cannot place cameras in garages. Hosts are not allowed to have security cameras and recording devices that monitor any part of a listing’s interior.

I hope this helps. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you both for your responses.  So very appreciated.  We have a wonderful property manager, so we don't "own" our listing to inquire directly with Airbnb.  Your clarifications were super helpful to us, and we thank you for taking the time to reply! 

Nicole291
Level 3
Fairbanks, AK

If you have a camera in your garage, ensure your listing does not list the garage as included in the "guest access" section.  Hopefully there are more ways to get inside your listing than through the garage