Critique my listing - New host and big drop in booking rate

Critique my listing - New host and big drop in booking rate

Hi there,

I am a new host and I am not getting many bookings. I want to improve things but don't know what exactly. I would be very grateful for any objective and thoughtful critiques of my listing. Don't focus on pricing, that's difficult to provide feedback on if not familiar with the area. Thank you!

https://airbnb.com/h/aurora7

Sal

8 Replies 8

@Salwa-Amélie0 Your place looks lovely and cozy. I don’t know if maybe it’s the area you’re in, in terms of distance, etc, bc I’m not familiar with your area. But that shouldn’t be an issue, because your profile shows that you had a few bookings and they reviewed you extremely well. Are you advertising? You can advertise on FB, TikTok and Instagram. My only criticism and that’s because I love the outdoors is that I wouldn’t want to have a view of the garden and not be able to use it. If you’re not advertising, check it out.

Thank you so much Marcia for taking the time to comb through my listing and for providing valuable feedback! I really appreciate it 

Hi @Salwa-Amélie0 

When you set up your listing what market research did you do around supply and demand in your areas for your type of property. 

Lots of factors affect bookings - the largest is supply and demand in your area for your type of listing.

The best way to maximise bookings is to 

1) design your listing with your target guest in mind

2) describe your listing with your target guest in mind

3) list on all relevant listing companies

4) consider setting up your own direct marketing channels.

Perhaps change your main photo to one of the clear bedroom shots and add photos of nearby attractions.

@Helen3 Thank you so much for these thoughtful recommendations! It means a lot

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Salwa-Amélie0 Cute listing,  my only recommendation and its because I sit outside nearly every day in Colorado is to show the guest outdoor patio area where they can enjoy the weather.  Other than that, I had a question, because it says it sleeps 2 but I only see one chair for lounging in, you have two at the table but only one for relaxing, maybe put small loveseat or another chair.  You could also put in a few other neighborhood photos, like the Flatirons or something.

@Michelle1851 Thank you so much for these thoughtful recommendations! It means a lot

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Salwa-Amélie0  Your place looks really cute. I'm a bit confused, as it says there's "one bedroom" when it looks like a studio, or suite- as you've indicated. You could run into problems with that as many guests will find something to nitpick about and fish for a refund. Am I confused or is it a "studio" setup? If so, definitely figure out how to change that or you may have problems. 

Also, I'd nix the promise of fresh fruit. You can still offer it if you feel like it, but if you don't have time to shop in a certain week, or the fruit looks lousy, your guests can't claim that an amenity wasn't provided. 

There are a couple of typos in your picture descriptions, and I might nix the pics of the cookbooks, as you may not want guests "cooking" up a storm in your kitchenette, and they may not realize that there's no cooktop. 

It looks like a very nice place, and reasonably priced. Your lack of bookings are likely just supply and demand. Changes to the AirBnB platform this summer really messed up the search feature. Lots of established hosts have had major drops in bookings. 

Good luck,

Kia

John6614
Level 2
Birch Bay, WA

Like others, I think your listing looks great. I would look at your market's competitive set and if there are more beds to rent than people to sleep in them. That seems like the culprit if you arent getting enough bookings. Another thing to consider is if you can add some unique activity or creative element that would allow you to tap into people who live close by but who just want a change of scenery. Maybe it's a couple celebrating and anniversary or even a "date night" away from the kids. Maybe it's a girls or guys gathering. Use your imagination and you may come up with some ideas like that. I have a steady stream of guests who book my unit for those sorts of occasions the most interesting one is the couple who live five doors down from me and use my place to escape from the non-stop hustle and bustle of their busy home. They book twice a year, stay for one night. It always makes me chuckle watching them walk down the street with their overnight bags but I'm happy that my place provides them the brief break they need.