Have you connected your smart lock to Airbnb?

Airbnb
Official Account

Have you connected your smart lock to Airbnb?

RC Hero Smart Lock.png

Smart locks are a convenient way to help guests get inside your place easily.  

If you have listings in the U.S. or Canada, you’ll soon be able to make check-ins even smoother by connecting certain smart locks to Airbnb. The new feature is called smart lock integration, and Hosts who’ve tested it so far have an average check-in rating of 4.96.

Smart lock integration is rolling out this spring to Hosts with up to six listings. You’ll find it in the Arrival guide section of your Listings tab when it’s available in your location. It’s compatible with certain locks from Schlage, with August and Yale devices coming later this year.

Find out more on the Resource Center

What type of self check-in do you offer at your listing? Share your tips in the comments.

8 Replies 8
Melissa2096
Level 2
Two Harbors, MN

We have wifi locks.  Very easy and guests seem to have very few problems with them. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Based on my experience after seeing any number of "updates" on the website and in the app from AirBnB that seem to have not gone through any beta testing at all, I am loath to connect anything involving tech or computers to AirBnB. It seems to me I'd be asking for trouble.

Why would I want to have guest access information depend on a company whose "tech" doesn't seem to work very well? 

Én is ugy halodtam nem jó

I agree Kia. I have had the worst luck with Schlage locks anyway.  

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Airbnb 

I've been using Remote Lock lock management that's integrated with Airbnb for over 3 years. When guest make a reservation through Airbnb it's automatically added to the lock, and any changes such as changing dates or cancellations are also automatically updated. I'll wait and see how well the new Airbnb integration works. I don't mind the small fee Remote Lock charges. I use a unique strategy where the flexibility of the Remote Lock comes in handy with being able to change the check in time. So will have to see who well Airbnb works. 

After having used smart locks for a long time one of the biggest challenges is avoiding bugs and software glitches. I have 5.0 check in rating and only one 4 star review for check in which wasn't accurate. 

I think this is a move in the right direction to help set expectations for guest to understand check in and check out times and not just show up whenever which is one of reasons I have a smart lock for guests own security and privacy, as they have their own individual code.

Sorry for long post. 

Dassi0
Level 5
Greensboro, NC

I have a mechanical, push-button lock. Since we offer accommodations that are ‘Shomer Shabbat friendly’, we will never have a ‘Smart Lock’ — just the smart choice!

I am usually on site, so most of the time I greet guests at the door — mechanical lock permits everyone to come and go at their convenience (even 2am!)

yes the smart choice!

Patricia2834
Level 2
Marietta, OH

I ask them to text me with their ETA from a phone that they will be using when they travel.  Then I set the digital code lock to the last 4 numbers of that phone.  This way no one has ever forgotten the code or gotten locked out.