Illegal listings, occupied Palestinian land

Alia3
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Illegal listings, occupied Palestinian land

I am extremely concerned about Airbnb profiting from settlements in Palestine. International law deems these as illegal. Airbnb disallowed these in 2018 but shamefully reversed their decision. This information is from Amnesty International website.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/press-release/2020/12/airbnb-listing-company-is-deeply-compromised...

I have asked for a policy statement through customer care but they do not seem to understand the issue.

I love Airbnb because it resonates with my own sense of care for people and community. I want to know Airbnb has the same consideration for Palestinians. Currently Palestinians are being razed to the ground in an unrelenting genocide.

Is anyone else pressuring Airbnb about this?

Alia

9 Replies 9
David-And-Kirsten0
Level 2
Hobart, Australia

Yes I am interested.  I only discovered this today and am truly shocked.  I am reconsidering being an Airbnb host.  I cannot in all conscience collaborate with a company that supports listing in illegal settlements.  Shame on Airbnb.

Dear Airbnb Management,

Subject: Concern and Disappointment Regarding Listings in Illegally Occupied Palestinian Territories

I am writing to you as a long-term host and supporter of Airbnb. My experience with Airbnb has been predominantly positive until now, which is why it deeply concerns me to learn about the reversal of your decision to allow listings in illegally occupied Palestinian houses.

The choice to support such listings not only contradicts international law but also undermines the values of inclusivity and respect for human rights that I believed Airbnb stood for. This decision is particularly disheartening and unacceptable to me, and I am sure to many others in the Airbnb community who value ethical practices and social responsibility.

As a committed host, I have always taken pride in offering hospitality that aligns with ethical standards and contributes positively to the global community. However, this recent decision by Airbnb places me in a morally conflicting position. It is distressing to see the platform being used to legitimize and profit from illegal occupation and the suffering of others.

I urge you to reconsider this decision and to take a stance that reflects the values of equality, justice, and respect for international laws and human rights. Airbnb has the power and responsibility to make choices that promote peace and understanding, rather than contributing to ongoing conflicts and injustices.

Unless there is a reversal of this policy, I am saddened to say that I will no longer be able to support Airbnb as a host. It is crucial for me to align my actions with my principles, and continuing my association under the current circumstances would be a compromise of my values.

I hope this letter encourages a re-evaluation of Airbnb's policies in conflict-affected regions and leads to a decision that aligns with the principles of justice and human rights.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns. I am looking forward to a positive response and a recommitment from Airbnb to ethical and responsible hosting practices.

Sincerely,

in the 1000 character limit

Dear Airbnb Management,

I am a long-term Airbnb host troubled by your decision to allow listings in the occupied Palestinian territories. This policy contradicts international law and Airbnb's values of inclusivity and human rights. Hosting on a platform that legitimizes occupation conflicts with my ethical standards.

I urge you to reconsider, aligning with justice, equality, and respect for human rights. If this policy continues, I cannot support Airbnb as a host, as it compromises my principles.

I hope you re-evaluate your stance and commit to ethical hosting.

Sincerely,

@David-And-Kirsten0 @Alia3 

Actually Airbnb did bring in restrictions against Israeli's being able to do STRs on illegally occupied land in the West Bank.

unfortunately the Democrats who were running the US government backed by the Israeli lobby took them to court at the time to over turn the decision 

so if you want to blame anyone blame the then US government 

Do you have any more information about that?

Let Google be your friend @David-And-Kirsten0 and apologies it was the republicans not the democrats .

I messaged Air B&B asking them what their position is and have not had a response.  I am also a long term host and up until now, very happy with them.  However, if the situation doesn't change in the occupied territories I will switch over to VRBO.

Sadly it seems that VRBO and all the other major rental companies also operate in the region.  

Rachel140
Level 2
Scarperia e San Piero, Italy

I have just written to Airbnb to ask the same question. I'll let you know if they reply.