How you can help the Maui community

Airbnb
Official Account

How you can help the Maui community

GettyImages-1592922886-e1692118128880.jpgThousands of people need temporary housing following the devastating wildfires in Maui last week. Here’s how you can help:

• Offer a place to stay : Anyone with a home or spare room in the state of Hawai‘i can make it available for free or at a discount by signing up with Airbnb.org.
  • Donate to Airbnb.org : Anyone can donate to Airbnb.org, and 100% of the donations will go toward covering the cost of emergency stays related to wildfires and other crises.

With your support, Airbnb.org will provide free, temporary stays for at least 1,000 people displaced by the Maui wildfires. All stays will be coordinated through Airbnb.org’s network of trusted nonprofits and government entities, including Maui Economic Opportunity, Global Empowerment Mission, and Operation Blessing.

“This short-term housing program gives families an ability to leave shelters and start the stabilization and healing process for the next phase of their lives,” says Michael Capponi, founder of Global Empowerment Mission.

Airbnb.org is a U.S.-based nonprofit organization that operates independently of Airbnb. Learn more about its work and how you can support the Maui community at Airbnb.org.

6 Replies 6

8/19/23 Red Cross and FEMA will pay for 21 nights at a time using Airbnb.org for displaced Maui fire residents.

You can make sure your donation or volunteer efforts make a difference through one of these organizations: Hawaii Community Foundation Maui Strong fund: Focusing on rapid response and working with local nonprofits to understand community needs.00% of the proceeds will go to Maui organizations to support relief efforts. In addition to accepting monetary donations online, CNHA is also accepting other donations from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday at their headquarters at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. Kapolei, HI 96707.

**[Link removed as per the Community Center Guidelines]

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Appreciate the great work airbnb.org is doing. I’ve been wanting to subscribe to recurring donations. I see some hosts are able to do it. I only have an option for one time donations so sometimes i forget to donate again😅 is there a reason why i don’t have an option for recurring pledges?

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

It is really sad to see what is happening in Hawaii and I am glad to see that Airbnb is trying to help.  The same is also happening in British Columbia, Canada.  Is there any Airbnb love coming that way through http://airbnb.org?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tourists-struggle-change-flights-accommodations-bc-w...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Airbnb So good to see some action in this area.Sometimes help is very slow coming to the assistance of the misplaced. My state and an Adjoining state experienced devastating fires causing terrific dislocation of numerous persons a couple of years ago . Some people spent over twelve months in makeshift shelters . Some could only find caravans to live in and many migrated throughout the state to live with relatives. This has unintentionally caused  a housing crisis which would probably have occurred anyway but it was precipitated to the forefront. One well meaning lady began a 'go fund me ' page which attracted many millions of dollars from charitable and concerned residents of both states , but in the setting up of the page the lady, Cherie Barber, was unaware that the money raised would never and could never be applied to assisting those who lost houses at all nor could any of the funding go to one particular state. Be careful to donate folks to verified agencies and look at how your money will be used so that it can be used for the type of assistance you expect it will be. All the best to all the lovely folk of Hawai and Maui... H 

The lady with the go fund me was Celeste Barber not Cherie who is a renovator. Sorry... H