Halloween in the Paris Catacombs

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Halloween in the Paris Catacombs

Paris Catacombs

Did you know, that you can win a free night at the Paris Catacombs? Apply here: https://www.airbnb.com/night-at/paris-catacombs

3 Replies 3
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Yes!  I had heard that....I thought it was funny and a great idea for Halloween, I thought this would be very popular.  I heard one man say (and he was French) that the Catacombs are a cemetery and he didn't think it was good for people to be invited to sleep in a cemetery.  But I think actually that sounds like a great adventure.  As long as the cemetery allows it! Here in my area, the gates close at the local cemetery at 5pm and there are no beds in there, not to mention no fresh linens.  

Deborah, there are people sneaking down to the catacombes for party, rave and they even found a fully equipped cinema once, when maintaince checked a not frequently used tunnel. Only this time, the city gets paid. 

But if you come to Paris, you may always climb over a cimetary wall during the night and sleep there - it's a frequent theme in French polars, so I suppose it's done and you won't be jailed for it 😉

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Halloween in Catacombs winner.jpgTHere is a winner of the Paris Catacombs contest:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Breakfast-with-skulls-Halloween-night-in-Paris-6603551.php#photo-...

"This Halloween, two brave souls got the dubious honor of waking up among 6 million dead bodies in Paris' creepy Catacombs.
Brazilian Pedro Arruda, 27, said he wasn't sure if he was lucky or unlucky when he found out he had won a contest sponsored by home-sharing company Airbnb to spend the night 20 meters (65 feet) underground."

"The prize includes a double bed in a candle-lit stone chamber and dinner, as well as a violin concert and a storyteller to get them in the Halloween spirit. "

"Arruda describes himself as a "history nerd" and said he relished the idea of waking up in a site that houses the remains of great men like writers Francois Rabelais and Jean de la Fontaine as well as the feared revolutionary Georges Danton, who was guillotined.
The one drawback to sleeping in a chamber equipped for the dead? There is no toilet."