What is a reasonable price to charge for weekly cleaning and clean bedding for a long term stay ?

Answered!
Sophie2456
Level 3
Portland, Australia

What is a reasonable price to charge for weekly cleaning and clean bedding for a long term stay ?

G’day folks, I have been a host for over a year now and have had several long term stays of around 2 weeks, mainly guests staying for work. My current guests have extended their stay and may extend close to Christmas. I have been providing clean bedding but now they are also requesting cleaning on a weekly basis. Keep in mind this is a 3 bedroom home, 3 beds are being occupied but they are only paying for 2 guests as staff will swap on a weekly basis but apparently 1 has left his belongings in one of the rooms. A 15% discount has been added to our already low prices for the longer stay. What is a fair price to ask for fresh bedding and cleaning? Your advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks Sophie.

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sophie2456 I find if you have a long term stay about fifty dollars a week is adequate. the main reason being is that a full clean is not really possible with the guests belongings in the house. I do linen change , kitchen clean , trash , garden maintenance , bathroom clean and vacumming. This is a matter of trust with the guest and is best taken care of when guests are out .Its a lot but does maintain your listing rather than allowing it to deteriorate as often happens otherwise. I add laundry baskets to rooms and often find guests adapt bedding to suit themselves . Jus t remember it is your place , your linen and your furnishings so make sure your standards are maintained .. good luck .. H

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sophie2456 I find if you have a long term stay about fifty dollars a week is adequate. the main reason being is that a full clean is not really possible with the guests belongings in the house. I do linen change , kitchen clean , trash , garden maintenance , bathroom clean and vacumming. This is a matter of trust with the guest and is best taken care of when guests are out .Its a lot but does maintain your listing rather than allowing it to deteriorate as often happens otherwise. I add laundry baskets to rooms and often find guests adapt bedding to suit themselves . Jus t remember it is your place , your linen and your furnishings so make sure your standards are maintained .. good luck .. H

Thank you Helen, I appreciate your feedback and I think that’s fair. I asked them what they thought was a fair price,the answer was $25, that’s not worth my while. There is a washing machine and a small vacuum cleaner there and for that price they can do it themselves is how I feel. Thanks again, Sophie 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Never ask a guest what they think is fair when it comes to pricing services  @Sophie2456 

Get a cleaner to quote and incorporate regular cleans into your longer stay pricing

Why are you letting them occupy three bedrooms but only pay for two? 

if they want to extend only do it on the basis that they pay for the numbers staying and pricing incorporates regular cleans .

@Sophie2456 longer stays are problematic because the guest is using your linen and a house can deteriorate unless you can maintain it properly . It depends on your attitude and approach to hosting of course but a weekly clean involving linen change , bathroom and kitchen clen , vacummning and taking out trash , plus generally some garden maintenance and cleaning of bins , makes a lot of difference to the satisfaction of your guests and helps maintain your home. There are issues of trust and these must be negotiated also . I once had a guest who had just arrived with a group and he was not aware of the cleaning and thought he was being burgled. He said he had been in bed but since we made all the beds he obviously was not,  but by then  the long term guests had decided it was cheaper to rent their own house, it wasnt but thats the way it goes sometimes , ...Good Luck.. H

Hi @Helen744 , thanks for your input into this thread as it feels appropriate for an Australian setting and helpful for me as well. My question is about how to charge through the app for extra costs incurred during the stay such as cleaning…how do we go about this? Many thanks. Jenny

@Jeanette373 the way the app is set up it is not very practical but must be negotiated with the gust before arrival. It will be a variation , so if your guests are staying for four weeks then you negotiate 200 then send it through with a messaging explanation and ask the guest to pay it before arrival .  Good Luck with that . Thats the only way I can see to do it .....H

Hi @Jeanette373, once you negotiate a weekly price, the way I did it is go into the booking and then click on money request opt for extra services then in the details write something like, “ Cleaning as requested “ and the amount $50 or whatever you have agree on. I did this weekly, the guest then has 72 to accept if not then Airbnb will get involved. Feel free to message me if you need more help. Kind Regards Sophie 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I think these guests are walking all over you 

1. Pass them the details of two or three cleaning companies or ask your cleaner to quote 

2 why are you providing clean bedding do you not have a washing machine dryer at your listing ? 

3. if you charge per guest or room. Tell them the person who left their belongings needs to move them immediately. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sophie2456 If they are paying a reasonable amount to stay with you then a cheapish clean makes sense if only to protect your listing.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0, just wondering what you would call cheapish clean ? I was offered $25 the equivalent would be £17.50 wouldn’t you say that’s too cheap? I called Airbnb, they said the cleaning and maintenance is the guests responsibility. I am very fussy and so I do the cleaning myself, my daughter and husband sometimes help too. I’m happy to be accommodating but that’s not worth my time and I can’t get a cleaner for that price either.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sophie2456, I came across this thread and noticed that you have received a lot of perspectives from our experienced members regarding the cleaning fees!

What did you decide in the end regarding your cleaning fees? Do share it with us!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi  @Bhumika, after many different factors taken into consideration, the outcome was that I let my guest know that I was not willing to clean at the suggested price of $25 as that did not suit me. My guest came back to me and offered to pay me $50 for a weekly clean which I accepted as it is much more reasonable.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you so much for sharing this interesting development @Sophie2456! Glad to hear that you were able to negotiate and that the guest came up with a reasonable offer.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Still ridiculously cheap bearing in mind you gave them a massive discount on an already discounted rate.

what would cleaners normally get in your location to clean that size of property and provide a linen change  - a lot more than that I bet .

don't ask people what they will pay. Tell them how much it costs @Sophie2456