Weight scales

Answered!
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Weight scales

A guest asked me if I have a weight scale so they can weigh their suitcases before they leave for their flight. What a great and simple thing to have, and Airbnb should add it to their amenities options. Is there a reason it is not already there? Is it that controversial that it is not already there? The only thing I can think of is that people don't like to be reminded of their weight on vacation.
Anyway, for this particular case, I will lend mine.

Do you think an Airbnb property should include weight scales?

Surely not the portable ones, they will tend to disappear. 

1 Best Answer
Tom4329
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

We’ve been hosting for over year now and never had the question but I don’t see a problem in supplying this. If people don’t want to see their weight then I assume they wouldn’t use them.

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Guy991, this is a very interesting topic.

I'm reaching out to some Hosts to inquire whether guests have previously requested a weight scale or if they already provide one as part of their listing amenities.@Patricia2526@Bettye6@Lorina14@Karen4131@Julie5882 and @Alex1485 

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi @Guy991 

I have only been hosting for 1 year as of February. I actually do purchase what guests have asked for if it's with in my price range 🙂

I have several different unusual request, and did purchase them. I had a guests who requested a food scale, coffee press and a blue tooth speaker. Purchased all 3.

The different guests were staying multiple days and I was able to get it for them with in their stay period and they were very pleased. AS for the blue tooth, that request was not supplied right away though when they left we put up a blue tooth sound bar attached to  the living room TV and it has been pleasingly noted by other guests who do not watch TV though love relaxing listening to their play list. 

Dang, come to think of it I have a scale that I haven't used in years. Might as well place that in the apartment as well, just need to get a new battery for it LOL

I initially had a request book which worked well but have since removed that. It was utilized...items requested ...calendar for the desk area, small cups in the bathroom, little things like that.

Great question!

Bettye6

This is a great idea! Will be adding a scale of some sort!

LOL, NO. CRAZY!

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi @Guy991 

thansks for the tag @Paula 

A luggage scale sounds like a great amenity to offer. I don’t currently have one and no one has requested it. 

The only item requested by a guest was a HDMI cable so they could stream a race on the tv from their computer. We have since left it in the unit for other guests to enjoy if needed. 

Karen4131
Level 10
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Guy991 

I haven't received the inquiry nor rented a place with access to a scale or luggage scale. However, I have often had to cross my fingers that my suitcase wasn't overweight when checking out from a hotel or Airbnb accommodation on the way to the airport. There is certainly a need for it, but I am unsure if it weighs heavily enough to be listed as one of Airbnb's amenities

Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Guy991  Thanks @Paula  for tagging.

Yes! I provide weighing scale since I host just across the International Airport. As Airbnb guest before catching a plane I am usually concerned about my luggage's weight due to flight restrictions. Having a scale in a house/apartment would be helpful in easing concerns about this. 

Staci187
Level 2
Baldwin City, KS

I would be against this idea for a simple reason: they’re not very accurate and can fluctuate based on a number of things. Particularly digital scales, which can change by a few pounds just by moving it by an inch or by having a low battery. I would hate for a guest to rely on this number only to be turned away at the gate and have to decide what to throw away.

Analog scales have a similar issue where the spring gets more stretched over time and loses accuracy. 

So I guess if you are properly maintaining and replacing the scale on a regular basis and additionally have a clause that actual weight may fluctuate it might be a nice addition.

There's is a special luggage scalr from Racv shop they are very accurate we always carry one with us but it will go missing. I  10 blue tooth speakers at home I will take one .I am afraid will go missing. I supplied face washers for make up specifically two went missing on the first guest.I think same will happened with the speakers and the scale I will not want put it in ratting as they will give me a bad ratting don't mention little things when they go missing. Z

Vonetta3
Level 1
Tunapuna/Piarco Municipal Corporation, Trinidad and Tobago

That's a great question. A luggage scale is likely to go missing but it would be a nice touch if you could manage it as a host. As a guest, I've never stayed at a property that had either a luggage or body scale, but I'd consider putting a body scale in the powder room. It could be used for luggage and is not as easy to be misplaced.

Sarah5773
Level 2
Black River, MI

@Guy991 I think it depends on where the Airbnb is located? Our Airbnb is in the middle of nowhere and people come to have a quiet, restful retreat. So far none of our guests have been leaving to then get on a plane but I can also see the benefits of it. I don’t know that Airbnb should require it, but for some it could be a courtesy🙂

Sheila803
Level 3
Lancaster, CA

Hi, I've only been hosting one month. I don't have one in my place but I've thought about it. And you're right it will just walk away just like my towels.😉

Tim4043
Level 2
Russell, PA

I have several scales available if my guests should need them, but I’ve been hosting for 13 years and have never had that request.  I don’t really live in the proximity of an airport though.  I would definitely provide one if requested.  I don’t see the necessity of listing it as an amenity.

Traci243
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

I have a list of items that can be requested. There isn’t a lot of space to store optional items (even an iron) but have it on the other side of the locked door in my carpeted garage. I would be certain to mention to anyone that scales are not always accurate so the weight should be an estimate.