How to pair August lock systems with guest itinerary?

Answered!

How to pair August lock systems with guest itinerary?

Hello fellow airbnb hosts,

I have paired my august lock with my airbnb listing but i have no idea what it does to my guest's itinarary?

I've had august lock for over a year now and it has been paired with my airbnb for about 3 months now and havent notice any difference.

nobobdy of my guests mention it and when i ask them they have no clue what im talking about. 

What is your experience? Am I missing something here?

Thank you!

1 Best Answer

You go to your August app and click on August works with. Then you select Airbnb. It gives you an option to connect both accounts. Follow the screen instruction. You can do it from your smart phone.
I've managed to connect them both but I haven't noticed any difference. I thought by pairing both it sends temporary automatic electronic keys to my guests for the duration of their stay. But NO. I still operate August prior to connecting it with Airbnb. I don't know if I'm missing something here? I'm about to write to Airbnb support and August support.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You have posted this in the wrong forum on this site.

Kirkland0
Level 1
Kirkland, WA

It would be amazingly appreciated if someone would say "how" to pair the august lock with AirBnB.  Neither the AirBnB nor the August website states how to connect the two.

You go to your August app and click on August works with. Then you select Airbnb. It gives you an option to connect both accounts. Follow the screen instruction. You can do it from your smart phone.
I've managed to connect them both but I haven't noticed any difference. I thought by pairing both it sends temporary automatic electronic keys to my guests for the duration of their stay. But NO. I still operate August prior to connecting it with Airbnb. I don't know if I'm missing something here? I'm about to write to Airbnb support and August support.
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Albena0,

Great to meet you. I hope you don't mind, but I have moved your discussion here to the General Hosting board as it is more of a general conversation, rather than specifically related to London. 

Locks and home automation is a popular topic here in the Community Center, perhaps it is worth asking the host on that thread about August locks. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Albena0

I just bough the August lock tonight and installed it. It's amazing. I did exactly what you did, but am not seeing my Air BnB guest show the August App. From what I can tell you need to live in a location offers the host assist program https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1188/host-assist-and-how-to-sign-up . Unfortunately, I don't like in an such an area. Sounds like you don't either.  I'm not sure how a geographic location affects devices controlled over bluethooth or the internet.

For now I'm just going to manually and adding my ABnB guests as tempory guests in the August app.  Since I'm not always around to greet my guests, some are going to have no choice but to download the app and use it!

This might be helpful too: http://august.com/2015/11/12/august-now-works-with-airbnb-to-deliver-secure-and-easy-home-access/

@Albena0

So after linking my August app to my air bnb profile, I found out that it automatically sends an invite to any new guest that has booked after I synced. My most recent guest downloaded the app and signed up. The app automatically gave him temporary access based on my checkin/checkout times. Super cool! Perhaps you don't have checkin/checkout times on your listing and that's why its not working. I'm going to have to remember to alert guests that they're going to be getting such an invite automatically from August.

@matt
Thank you, Matt!

I have check-in and check-out time.
I also talked to August customer service. They told me that the app is sending automatic message alerting future guests that they have the option to download the August app for keyless entry.
Unfortunately,from about 30 guests I've had so far since I've linked both accounts last November, nobody downloaded it not even mention it. I guess people have no clue what August app is and they don't feel particular adventurous, I guess.
Anyway, I still have hope.

Thanks again for your input!

Have you tried including a little blurb about what the lock is and to expect and invitation to download the app in your checkin instructions?

I hope this finds you in a timely manor to still be helpful.

I've been using the august home lock since October. I make it mandatory and they all seem to really love it. I have only had one person not want to use it. Did not know how to operate her phone.  Now with allowing Airbnb to share data it is going to save me tons of time spent on the august app. The email sent to my people is as good as what I used to send out.  

I'm trying this now... I have a guest that booked today, but my check-in time was 'flexible'.

I'll see if he gets an invite automatically. If he doesn't, I'll adjust the check-in for my next guest to a specific time window, and see if the next guest gets a code.

Kong-Li0
Level 1
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Hi Matt, 

How would you found out it automatically send out the key to the guest? I linked mine, but have no idea if that works. So I have to manually send invites from my August App for them to get the key.

Thanks forthe sharing.

I now get a carbon copy (cc) of the email that goes to the guest, which tells me it’s working.

Here’s an example the email I see:

Congratulations, [GUEST FIRST NAME], on your upcoming stay!

Airbnb has partnered with August Home to make access to your Airbnb rental at [RENTAL NAME] easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with an August Smart Lock that lets you unlock the front door using your smartphone - you don't have to worry about losing your keys again!

Your virtual key will be active for the duration of your stay: [START DATE CHECKIN TIME] to [END DATE CHECKOUT TIME].

How it works:

If this is your first time using August Smart Lock:

1. Download and install the August app by clicking here.
    1. Check your smartphone is compatible with August Smart Lock by clicking here.
  2. Guests from outside United States: If you did not receive SMS verification code from August Home, please contact August Support at 1-844-AUGUST1 (284-8781).
  3. Open the August app and tap "I Received an Airbnb invite."
  4. Link your Airbnb account by tapping "Connect To Airbnb."

If you already have the August app on your smartphone:

1. Go to "Menu" at the top left and tap "August Works With."
  2. Tap on the "Airbnb" logo and then again on "Connect To Airbnb" to link your Airbnb account.

Once your August and Airbnb accounts are linked, you can view your upcoming access in the August app on the "Keychain" screen.

Want a physical key?

Virtual keys offer better security and easier access. However, If you are not interested in virtual keys or you do not have a compatible smartphone, please contact your Airbnb host to make alternative arrangements for access to the property.

Thank you and have a wonderful stay!
August Home Support
http://support.august.com

P.S: You are receiving this email via an anonymized email address provided by Airbnb, which will be used solely for the purpose of sending information about your upcoming stay.

Can you easily make the checkin time earlier or the check out time later during the stay? i.e. if a guest asks for a late checkout, is it easy to adjust their stay in August?

Yes, but you have to be connected to your August lock to do that. On that note, any modifications to guest access require you to connect to the lock. That's where having the August Connect is nice, but it's not neccesary.

When you're near the lock, go to the 'Guest List' page and select the user, then modify their temporary access as needed. For longer-term guests, I usually add a entry code (for the keypad) at the same time, and use the last four of their cell phone number so it's easy for them to remember.