Excessive cleaning

Answered!

Excessive cleaning

Hello

I am a host with a house on the Central Coast in NSW Australia. It's a large house (6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 lounge areas etc). I have been having trouble with excessively messy guests leaving the house not only messy, but also dirty, with wet/stained doona covers, furniture moved all around, insides of cupboards a mess and also a filthy BBQ (even though I ask for it to be cleaned).

My cleaner took an extra 3 hours to clean after the last guests! I am trying to find the best way to ensure this doesn't happen, or to charge for excessive mess, stained doonas and the like and the BBQ not being cleaned. I would appreciate any advice please on the above and also what you think a reasonable cleaning fee is, and if I should charge more in holiday periods (my cleaner charges holiday rates).

Thanks very much

Rochelle

1 Best Answer
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

HI @Chris-and-Rochelle0 

I'm also in Australia, also with a fairly large house ( not as large as yours, nor as upmarket).

Here are a some strategies I employ which i find useful, 

1. I charge a substantial security deposit.  ( airbnb DON'T hold this, and all up it's pretty toothless, but in the case of houses I think airbnb do actually go to the trouble to ensure there are at least sufficient funds on the guests credit card to cover the security deposit)  I don't know if it helps ALL that much, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  At best I think it helps to discourage the wrong sort of guest

2. I have IB, so I have a pre welcome message.  In that message I say, amongst others things - have you REALLY read my house rules?  What's the code word?   not foolproof but it means guests usually have at least a bit of a glance at my rules, and often genuninely read them through

3 I no longer charge a cleaning fee ( at least not in the cleaning fee section)  I have a 2 night minimum so I halve what I would charge for cleaning and add it to the nightly rate.  I offer a discount which equals the extra charge for stays 3 days or more so the extra amount added is negated for stays more than 2 nights.  I then point out in my check out proceedures that I don' t charge a cleaning fee, therefore I expect guests to be neat and tidy and to.......  and I list what I expect ( basic stuff, wipe counters, clean crockery and utensils, take out the garbage)

we've recenlty bought a BBQ and so far not one guest has cleaned it despite being great guests in every other area.  I have a large note on the grill of the BBQ telling guests they're welcome to use it, so long as they clean it.  No joy. My husband keeps telling me people won't clean BBQ's because they dont' think they NEED to be cleaned.    I'll give it one or two more goes, then if still not cleaned, I'll either remove it as an option OR I'll make it an optional extra and say I want $50 up front which I'll return if it's kept clean. ( haven't thought about it deeply, most likely I"ll just remove the option)

5 If I get a booking for a large group I inform the booker that I must have all the names of the group added to the "who's coming" section OR I need to sight their ID at check in ( this is actually a requirement of my insurer). At the same time I say it's the bookers responsibility to make sure ALL their party are aware of the house rules 

6. I talk about the review process in the checkout procedures  - I begin by saying i  ALWAYS leave a truthful individualised reivew for my guests - almost always 5 stars  unless there is a problem     and I explain how critical this is for them to be able to easily book in the future ( a lot of guests don't "get" that bit - they think they have all the power, or they just don't think at all) 

None of those things is foolproof, but collectively it all helps. I still get messes - the BBQ is always filthy with grease, but on the whole nothing too dire ( fingers crossed)

Hope this helps

Regards

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22

@Rowena29 , I agree with @Cormac0 and have gotten rid of my barbeque. I host remotely and it would just take too much time and cost me too much to have my cleaning staff clean it. Also, we are constantly in a state of high fire danger, and while the risk is low with a gas barbeque, for example, it is still a risk I am not willing to take with my cabin being located in a tinder box.

Hi @John1080 I was wondering if you could tell me, as I’m cleaning at an air BnB , Did your cleaning staff charge extra if they had to clean the bbq, on top of inside? 

Or is cleaning the bbq and sweeping patios apart of an air bnb cleaners job? 

Katie1625
Level 2
Wendover, United Kingdom

Another suggestion is to get deck BBQ that only takes the disposable BBQ trays , 2 at a time, then it's minimal cleaning, as tray is just chucked out with rubbish

Liz3506
Level 2
Bristol, VA

I may be expecting too much of guests. But I do expect them to leave the property clean when they leave.  It is usually men that do not know how to clean up after themselves that leave the bigger messes. A simple thing as leaving empty cracker boxes and a coffee cup on the counter when there is clearly an empty wastebasket or one guest who left 4 brown Smooshy chunks in the shower which I later found out to be goat soap.  Someone who cooked chili and exploded it in microwave, stove, counters, wall and sink. 

I am new at hosting and would thing it is common sense to clean up after yourself but I may be too nit picky in this matter.  I do charge a $30 cleaning fee for cleaning supplies.  But may increase this in the future but I am on my 5th guest at the moment and the third couple I have hosted.  

@Liz3506, I agree with you that I expect guests to return my property to the condition they found it, more or less and most do if expectations are clearly conveyed. 

I have learned to make sure the expectations with all policies and rules are clearly laid out on the listing page, in a pre-approval (post-booking for IB) message, a pre-arrival message and a pre-check out message.

Since many guests don't seem to read well or thoroughly, repeating, repeating and repeating again is very important so guests understand what you expect them to do as far as cleanup and other policies. 

Liz3506
Level 2
Bristol, VA

Also it is a small space. 500 square feet. But it still takes me six hours to do all the laundry and cleaning from top to bottom. 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

My housekerper and i gad a big chat about providing a BBQ but decided against it as we were convinced it wouldn’t be cleaned. Previously I’d been charging a £40 cleaning fee but a couple of months ago I reduced it to £25 but increased my extra person charge (after 2 guests) from £20 to £25.  I’ve got a group of 6 in tomorrow for three nights - my thinking is that they make a mess they’re contributing towards clean up by paying an extra £45 on the new regime.  

6 mature guests checked out tonight after a 2 night stay - 6 hours cleaning later it’s clear they were keen on mascara but coasters not so much 😞

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi Chris, I have a $200 deposit and in my rules indicate that excessive messes will be charged a minimum of $50. This has worked well for me. I'm sure there is a limited on what can be charged using the deposit as payment but hopefully it would cover some situations you have had. At the very least it would scare certain bad characters from leaving a mess.