Advice please

Advice please

Advice on moving forward. Had these good guests last week, they were clean and polite. One night they used the back patio which I was equipped with a hot tub, a medium sized fire pit, and some firewood. They made a fire and used the hot tub for a about an hour or so. When done with the tub, they all walked inside to change, they were gone less than 3 or 4 minutes, upon returning the rug I had the pit on melted underneath and caught fire. It was on concrete slab and the damages are my large rug and some molten plastic on my concrete. Since I provided the amenities, is this their fault? Or is it mine for having a rug under the pit? All advice appreciated

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dylan433 My view is it is 100% your fault. Surely a guest cannot be held responsible for the host creating a fire hazard. I would be apologising to the guest rather than considering blaming them.

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Absolutely your fault. Is your insurance company aware that you are renting out these facilities? You are also responsible if one of them gets sick from the hot tub. Good luck

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Dylan433  You don't put a fire pit on top of a rug. ENTIRELY your fault, and a safety hazard. 

WHY is the big question here.......just WHY? 

Agree with all the replies.

Safety is #1, you can't have anything that potentially is a fire or safety risk.

I stopped even providing a fire pit because of the risk of grass fires next to our paddock was too high in summer.

This is a good learning for you. You are lucky that the guests weren't injured (I assume).

Brave to have a hot tub by the way(who cleans it?)