Advertise as 6 Guests or 4 Guests?

Advertise as 6 Guests or 4 Guests?

Hello,

I need some advice.  I have a two bedroom Townhouse that currently I am advertising as "4 Guests - 2 Bedrooms - 3 Beds - 2.5 Baths."

I have one King sized bed in Bedroom 1 and two single beds in Bedroom 2.  The two bedrooms are located on the top floor of my Townhouse.

On the next floor down (Ground Floor), I have a Lounge/Living Room area.  In that Lounge, I have two Ottomans that can convert to Fold-Up Cots (only suitable for Toddlers or Small Children).  Here is what they look like...

https://www.amazon.es/Quality-Mobles-Plegable-Individual-80x180/dp/B06XCMYQWH?th=1

So theoretically if some guests are okay with having their Toddlers / Small Children sleep on these cots, my townhouse could accommodate 4 Adults +2 Small Children for 6 Guests total.  Again, theoretically the Ottomans are small enough that they could be carried up the staircase and be placed in the bedrooms.

Option 1 - Status Quo - Continue to advertise as "4 Guests - 2 Bedrooms - 3 Beds - 2.5 Baths."

Option 2 - Continue to advertise as "4 Guests - 2 Bedrooms - 3 Beds - 2.5 Baths", however, put a note in the description that additional Fold-up Cots can be made available at an extra cost.

Option 3 - Advertise as "6 Guests - 2 Bedrooms - 5 Beds - 2.5 Baths" and put some text early in the townhouse description describing that the beds for Guests 5 & 6 will only be suitable for Toddlers / Small Children and would be considered on a case-by-case basis? 

On the plus side for Option 3, listing as 6 Guests would mean that I would not be filtered-out of any SEARCH a potential guest does for 5 bedrooms and above.

On the negative side for Option 3, I am worried that 6 Adults might try and book the townhouse and show-up late one night and be very disappointed when there are not enough beds for them to sleep.  Talk about a BAD Review!   Also, guests could tell me they are a group of 4, but show-up with 6 guests and not pay for the extra 2 guests - additional wear & tear on property for no additional money.

Can anybody provide me with guidance on what to do here? 

Does anyone have a Listing with a similar situation and how did you deal with it, and how did it work out? 

Also, how did you price the two additional children?  Extra Price above regular price?

Thanks,

Kent N.

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Stay at 4 guests. If you go to 6, people will expect 3 bedrooms and at least 3 beds that will sleep 2 adults each. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Kent279 👋

It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand what the resolution was but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I have something similar and gone with Option 3.

I make it super clear that its only suitable for kids. In main description and in THINGS TO NOTE.

Also airbnb allows you to show photos and categorise as bedroom 3, which would be a photo of your ottoman setup in the lounge room.

Even my competitor lists their 4th bedroom as the living room with sofa bed and includes that in their guest count.

But this option does require you to check all bookings and ask them their guest configuration. You can still use instant booking but still check. If you have to cancel in the rare event, you should be ok as you get options as a host, or better still, get the guest to cancel it given they booked under false premise.

Hope this helps

Regs

Mary