Foreign ownership

Answered!
Jocelyn617
Level 2
Makati, Philippines

Foreign ownership

I am a joint USA/Philippines citizen and own a house in Manila.  I am a new Airbnb participant.  I live the majority of time and pay taxes only in the US.  My sister in Manila manages the Airbnb rental of our property, and all income from the property will go to here.  I will have NO income from the property, but it will all stay with my sister.   I, however, do help manage the rentals and business as a co-host with her.  Airbnb seems to be saying that i need to file tax information as a US citizen even if I receive no income.  Is that correct? 

Roland **

San Francisco and Manila

**[Last Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer

We never got an answer, but I think we figured it out for ourselves by talking to the AirBnb help desk.  As long as no money ever leaves the Philippines, then no US taxes will be involved.  Therefore, I do not need to give you any US tax information even though the website seems to suggest that I do. It is working now with only the Philippines information.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Jocelyn617 👋

Welcome to Airbnb and welcome to the Community Center! It's so great to have you here! 🎉

It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand what the resolution was but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

We never got an answer, but I think we figured it out for ourselves by talking to the AirBnb help desk.  As long as no money ever leaves the Philippines, then no US taxes will be involved.  Therefore, I do not need to give you any US tax information even though the website seems to suggest that I do. It is working now with only the Philippines information.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for coming back to me @Jocelyn617 😊 and thank you so much for coming back to share your answer as it'll help other Hosts in the future. 

How are you both getting on in your Airbnb journey? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines