Neighborhood noise + safety complaint

Answered!
Lorraine505
Level 2
Laredo, TX

Neighborhood noise + safety complaint

I am entering my 7th week on Airbnb and it’s gone rather well until today. Today we received our first 3 star review. Confusing review as they seemed to really like it just not for their kids. I had mentioned we’re family friendly as we’ve had several families and really enjoyed it. I never mentioned we were kid friendly specifically. They mentioned in their review it was not safe for children. And that crushed me. Then also mentioned amenities they wished we had that we never mentioned we had. All that is known prior to booking. She messaged rather well and asked about coffee and I let her know about the coffee bar and iron/ironing board she never asked about an oven or a dishwasher. So why my title? This is why. 2 issues have been mentioned, noise from highway and gas station. We are aware our place is in front of a gas station which some guests didn’t care or mention and one even really enjoyed and found very convenient and next to a highway and that bothered 2 of our guests as they mentioned the noise but no one else did. One still left us a 5 star review. I understand everyone will be different. One review even mentioned how our place is just like the pictures if not better. How do I deal with the highway/gas station noise complaint, and gas station being a safety issue for their kids according to the last guest? 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Lorraine505 

First let me say your public response to the negative review was excellent. It was short, factual and addressed the issues the guest raised in a non-emotional manner. Good job.

3 stars seems a bit harsh to me as well; especially since amenities are listed and the other minor things were just thrown in there. The big issue seems to be your location (7-11 gas station?) and highway noise.  Since other guests mentioned it too, you definitely need to be more upfront about these two issues. You'll find guests will not read your entire listing (they rarely get past the title and pictures). It's best to mention the not so nice things about your listing in several places as well as the positives. It is also important to disclose if a key amenity is missing (like an oven), I would disclose that this in the listing upfront. Guests RARELY read your amenity list. Most guests consider a full kitchen to include an oven. You can add one or make it clear there is no oven. A dishwasher is nice, but not necessarily a deal breaker. I would still mention "Please note there is no dishwasher or full-size oven in the kitchen." 

Sections of Listing Are Missing?

I noticed several sections are missing on the Listing like Guest Access, The Space, Neighborhood and Other Things to Note. You can use these sections to explain more about your location. For instance, under Other Things to Note I would put "no oven or dishwasher in kitchen." I would also add something about your location near a 7-11 and highway noise and it appears your property is not fenced. I believe this is the reason for the child safety issue with the last guest. I would also add something about the highway noise and location near a convenience store (7-11) in Neighborhood section.  To be fair, those are legitmate concerns for parents with young children. 

Property & Safety Section

This is where you would add potential for noise (highway) and the location near convenience store. Most guests never read this section,  so that's why you should mention this in other places as well:

Joan2709_0-1715693115223.png

Message to Guests With Children

To prevent further negative reviews, you may even consider messaging guests booking with children that you would love to host them and some positives about your place. I would then briefly state to please note your location is perfect for access to local attractions, but it is not fenced and you are near a local convenience store. Something to that effect. Better for a guest to cancel than for you to risk more reviews that will further impact your overall rating; especially as a new host.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @Lorraine505 

First let me say your public response to the negative review was excellent. It was short, factual and addressed the issues the guest raised in a non-emotional manner. Good job.

3 stars seems a bit harsh to me as well; especially since amenities are listed and the other minor things were just thrown in there. The big issue seems to be your location (7-11 gas station?) and highway noise.  Since other guests mentioned it too, you definitely need to be more upfront about these two issues. You'll find guests will not read your entire listing (they rarely get past the title and pictures). It's best to mention the not so nice things about your listing in several places as well as the positives. It is also important to disclose if a key amenity is missing (like an oven), I would disclose that this in the listing upfront. Guests RARELY read your amenity list. Most guests consider a full kitchen to include an oven. You can add one or make it clear there is no oven. A dishwasher is nice, but not necessarily a deal breaker. I would still mention "Please note there is no dishwasher or full-size oven in the kitchen." 

Sections of Listing Are Missing?

I noticed several sections are missing on the Listing like Guest Access, The Space, Neighborhood and Other Things to Note. You can use these sections to explain more about your location. For instance, under Other Things to Note I would put "no oven or dishwasher in kitchen." I would also add something about your location near a 7-11 and highway noise and it appears your property is not fenced. I believe this is the reason for the child safety issue with the last guest. I would also add something about the highway noise and location near a convenience store (7-11) in Neighborhood section.  To be fair, those are legitmate concerns for parents with young children. 

Property & Safety Section

This is where you would add potential for noise (highway) and the location near convenience store. Most guests never read this section,  so that's why you should mention this in other places as well:

Joan2709_0-1715693115223.png

Message to Guests With Children

To prevent further negative reviews, you may even consider messaging guests booking with children that you would love to host them and some positives about your place. I would then briefly state to please note your location is perfect for access to local attractions, but it is not fenced and you are near a local convenience store. Something to that effect. Better for a guest to cancel than for you to risk more reviews that will further impact your overall rating; especially as a new host.

Thank you for responding Joan I really appreciate your input and advice.

Where do you recommend or how would I word to include the location without disclosing a good description of where we are for safety reasons. As Airbnb doesn’t disclose address or location due to safety as well. Highway noise I can’t do much about unfortunately and would obviously want to be upfront about noise pollution in my area. I have to figure out how to word that and include that in my listing some how as well without it hurting me too much. Because although mentioned by one other guest the others didn’t. The highway and gas station noise really is when you’re outside in the front at certain times of the day not all day, not so much inside or in the backyard I’d like to point that out. 

And how do you mention a key amenity missing if the list of amenities is a check list? Just curious where else I can mention it. 

The last issue regarding safety, our yard is fully fenced only one side doesn’t have a privacy wooden fence like the other sides which we’re looking into. But does have a chain link fence. But it also has a chain link gate the encloses it at the end of the driveway. The only real concern I have and I’m trying to add is steps to the back porch from the master bedroom. It’s a big step and a safety concern and I’ve wanted to lock the door with a deadbolt so no one uses the door yet or put a sign in English and Spanish. We also considered closing the back yard but we really can’t for fire safety reasons we need emergency exits through out the house. She didn’t mention in her review but her private feedback which I appreciated. 

We just need a little more money to one add the extra bathroom we want in that area where the steps are needed but for now we at least need steps if people want or need to use it as a convenient exit to the back yard/porch. 

I will definitely consider messaging the guests with children to ask if they have any concerns and be more upfront and prevent bookings that can lead to bad reviews. 

Thanks so much for your time and attention. 🙏🏼

Hi @Lorraine505 

HighwayNoise - Fencing

Add this info to your "Other Things to Note" section under Property Description (this is one of the sections of your listing I noted was missing) and under Property & Safety:

"The highway and gas station noise really is when you’re outside in the front at certain times of the day not all day, not so much inside or in the backyard I’d like to point that out."

You don't need to disclose your exact location, just that there is highway noise when outside during XXX hours (not all day) and is minimal when in back yard. Just say you are located within walking distance/close to a convenience store. Explain your back yard is fully fenced (chain link & privacy fencing) but front yard is not fenced.

Steep Step

I would also add this to the Other Things to note section and you must disclose under property and safety. There is a place for you to type a note under this section. Just explain it is steep step and use caution.

Joan2709_0-1715698061598.png

Key Amenity  Missing

As I mentioned above, you should add there is no oven or dishwasher in the "Other Things to Note" Section under Description. I noted above that is one of the Sections missing on your listing. Go to description Section and you will see addl Sections:

The Space

Guest Access

Other Things to Note

Great info Joan thank you I will work on it today. Have a great rest of your week.