Host will Sell CA Airbnb for AZ Airbnb

Jean174
Level 6
Long Beach, CA

Host will Sell CA Airbnb for AZ Airbnb

I posted this earlier but can't find the thread. A host from Long Beach California just put her 3 bedroom house on the market for $950K.  She plans to move to Goodyear, AZ and purchase for $435K and fund her retirement.  She hopes to Airbnb host in Arizona.

She blocked her calendar to prevent future bookings and is now conducting showings to sell her property.  According to Airbnb Customer Service, she needs proof (through an offer letter) that the property has sold before they will cancel existing reservations.  I am a fellow host in the same town.  Can she write a note to upcoming guests, explain that their stay conflicts with showings and realtor showcases, and direct them to book one of my listings?  I would honor her reservation price point even though mine is typically a bit higher.  What is the best way to handle existing on-the-books reservations in this situation?

The soon to be AZ host does not want to cancel herself or tarnish her reputation, as she plans to Airbnb in her new place in Goodyear, AZ.  What is protocol and what is the best way to handle existing reservations that clash with a property showing and sale?

Also, can she keep one of her listings and change property photos and location to reflect the AZ property?  That way she could keep her reviews over the last decade?

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jean174 I am amazed that Airbnb would cancel bookings free of penalty just to allow the place to be marketed. This is incredibly unfair on future guests.

The host may be able to do what she/you want(s) by instigating a change request although this may only be possible for multiple listings in her account.

I don't know that they would.  Airbnb Customer Service simply said they would need a legal document indicating the property sale before cancelling any reservations.  I believe (although I have no direct experience with this) that Customer Service would research and provide equal accommodations for guests. 

The host who is selling has blocked her calendar to prevent future bookings.  She did this immediately when she determined she must sell. 

Part of the back story of this is that there is an opt out petition in her neighborhood and this host feels that Airbnbs in her neighborhood are unwanted and she doesn't want to be hated by neighbors.  This was an ingredient in her interest in selling.

Maybe she can work open houses and cleaning around the few existing reservations she has, but her new house is contingent upon the sale of the Long Beach property so she must show it 24/7 to get this accomplished.  

Just asking for best practice here.  With thanks and gratitude.  Jean

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear it seems like she's not too familiar with the platform @Jean174 

1. It's incredibly unfair to guests who booked in good faith to cancel their bookings at the last minute to accommodate viewings . She should have blocked out dates for viewings when she knew she was selling 

2. If she wants to cancel her guest bookings for viewings she should do so, pay the penalty and the guests will be free to rebook with another host . 

She can recommend you as one option

3.Her reviews for her current listing will stay on her profile 

the best way to handle the clash is to rearrange the viewing dates if she doesn't want to tarnish her reputation as a host 

Unfair. Sometimes life circumstances require you to sell your property. The host decided on a Thursday called Airbnb Friday, and has open house Saturday. This is LA, so things turn quickly. She does not know if she can accommodate the guests yet or not. It depends on the timing and the escrow period. My question is how to cancel without penalty. Send a link to the policy, I want to study it myself.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Look on the Airbnb Help website for the host cancellation policy @Jean174 

Thanks Helen.

Can you send a link to the policy? That way we can both know what it is. 

This site needs a solid indexer, the search terms were so poor, it is hard to use them