What is a reasonable price to charge for weekly cleaning and clean bedding for a long term stay ?

Answered!
Sophie2456
Level 3
Portland, Australia

What is a reasonable price to charge for weekly cleaning and clean bedding for a long term stay ?

G’day folks, I have been a host for over a year now and have had several long term stays of around 2 weeks, mainly guests staying for work. My current guests have extended their stay and may extend close to Christmas. I have been providing clean bedding but now they are also requesting cleaning on a weekly basis. Keep in mind this is a 3 bedroom home, 3 beds are being occupied but they are only paying for 2 guests as staff will swap on a weekly basis but apparently 1 has left his belongings in one of the rooms. A 15% discount has been added to our already low prices for the longer stay. What is a fair price to ask for fresh bedding and cleaning? Your advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks Sophie.

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sophie2456 I find if you have a long term stay about fifty dollars a week is adequate. the main reason being is that a full clean is not really possible with the guests belongings in the house. I do linen change , kitchen clean , trash , garden maintenance , bathroom clean and vacumming. This is a matter of trust with the guest and is best taken care of when guests are out .Its a lot but does maintain your listing rather than allowing it to deteriorate as often happens otherwise. I add laundry baskets to rooms and often find guests adapt bedding to suit themselves . Jus t remember it is your place , your linen and your furnishings so make sure your standards are maintained .. good luck .. H

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

@Sophie2456 I think everyone who does their own cleaning is very aware that the amount of cleaning is not covered by the fee and is probably of a higher standard than that done by a cleaning company , at least more thorough. Its mainly paid back in the maintenance and is the cost of keeping your home up to date , cleaning wise, but those commenting need to be aware that our current exchange rates especially with England but the US too vary hugely .... H

@Sophie2456 @25dollars is more like twelve and a half pounds... H

@Helen744,

Hi Helen not sure if you read my other comments. The guest suggested $50 once I refused $25. I accepted as you said it helps keep my property maintained but it is different cleaning while people and their belongings are in there, it was a bit uncomfortable for us, it’s very different to when guests check out. A $70 fee would have been more appropriate as my daughter and I spent 2.5 hours each cleaning and changing bedding, sometimes 3 hours each per week. As you said, as an owner we are more thorough than cleaners. Overall it was a lot of extra work but we count our blessings as it ended up being an almost 3 month booking that was pleasant and definitely worthwhile.

Many thanks,

Sophie 

I would charge $20 per bed that’s $60 per visit plus supplies and service changes…. So basically whatever the laundromat charges for drop off service plus $80 for the cleaner (on the low end) altogether it’s $140 per visit to clean them. 

One more thing I assume you have at least 2 sets of bedding for each bed right?